Afghan Refugee Initiative
The Government of Canada has committed to resettling approximately 40,000 vulnerable Afghans and they are arriving via various pathways, including as Government-Assisted Refugees, Privately Sponsored Refugees, and through the Blended Visa Office-Referred Program. Locally, the Regina Open Door Society delivers the Resettlement Assistance Program (RAP), providing essential settlement and support services in the initial weeks of arrival. After receiving the initial RAP support, the Afghan refugees, like all other Permanent Residents, are assessed and referred to the programs and services at local settlement agencies, and other pertinent community supports.
If you would like to donate clothing, toiletries, dry goods and/or small household goods to the Afghan refugees, please refer to the information below for the list of needed items. Please only donate new, unopened toiletries and food items, for safety and hygenic reasons.
- children's diapers (all sizes)
- adult diapers (all sizes)
- feminine hygiene products
- laundry detergent (small packets)
- dishwashing liquid
- sponges for washing dishes
- can openers
- microwaveable plates/cups
- individual sized packets of sugar, pepper and salt
- small packets of tea and coffee
- seasonal clothing - all sizes (children to adults)
* adult men's clothing is often in short supply
HOW TO DONATE:
- The specific items listed above can be brought to the Al Ritchie Community Association (ARCA) at 2250 Lindsay Street.
- Donation days/times: M/W/F between the hours of 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. You can check the ARCA website for the most up-to-date information about their hours of operation at https://www.alritchie.org/calendar
- When you arrive at ARCA with your donation, please share with staff that the donation is specifically for the Afghan Refugees.
- If you have any questions about donating to the Afghan Refugee initiative, please email
To access free/low cost goods or to donate for the benefit of any community member in need, please refer to the Local Free/Low-Cost Goods and Donation Locations Chart.
If you are a landlord or are aware of available housing that would be suitable for the permanent accommodation of arriving refugees, please email: or
Learn More About Regina Open Door Society's Housing Registry here: https://rods.sk.ca/pages/housing-registry