World Refugee Day 2020 - June 20th
June 20th is World Refugee Day
This is an international day to recognize the resilience, strength and courage of the more than 70 million people forced to flee their home country, to escape persecution. It is also an occasion to build empathy and understanding for what refugees have been through as well as to celebrate the contributions refugees have made in their new countries, as they not only survive but thrive!
The theme of World Refugee Day (WRD) 2020 is Every Action Counts. Everyone, including refugees, can contribute to society and Every Action Counts in the effort to create a more just, inclusive, and equal world.
There are many online events happening this year, to celebrate WRD as in-person gatherings are still not advised, due to COVID-19.
- The UNHCR's entire list of World Refugee Day events can be found here https://www.unhcr.org/refugeeday/wrd2020-events/
- The UNHCR's list of World Refugee Day events in Canada can be found here https://www.unhcr.ca/how-you-can-help/world-refugee-day-events/
In addition to celebrating refugees, this is a time to learn more about what community members can do to support them.
- An article posted in the CBC news explains 6 Ways to Support New Refugees to Canada. It highlights the following suggestions:
- Show new Canadians the ropes
- Help with conversational English
- Become a Citizenship test study buddy
- Raise funds for an organization that supports refugees
The entire article can be read here.
- Regina Open Door Society's Resettlement Assistance Program helps Government Assisted Refugees (GARs) with their initial settlement needs in Canada. Regina Open Door Society'sWorld Refugee Day blog post can be found here: https://rods.sk.ca/pages/world-refugee-day-2020
- The Refugee Sponsorship Training Program (RSTP) and United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is hosting a webinar that addresses The Global Refugee Crisis and the Impact of COVID-19 on Refugees and Resettlement. They will discuss how Canadians can sponsor refugees through a program that identifies those in the most dire need of resettlement. This is called the BVOR program. They will also review the services that RSTP offers to sponsors.
The webinar is scheduled for Wednesday, June 24, 2020 and will run from 12:00 -1:30 PM (SK time). You can register for the webinar by clicking here.
*RSTP also offers workshops appropriate for those wishing to sponsor relatives, friends or named cases through the PSR program. For more information, please email: [email protected]