Immigrant Access Fund Canada
Toll Free: 1-855-423-2262
Fax: (306) 974-4932
WHO WE HELP
Immigrant Access Fund Canada supports newcomers who arrive in our country equipped with excellent professional skills and knowledge but face significant barriers to employment. Often they fall into poverty as they become stuck in unemployment or low paying “survival” jobs. As they lack income, collateral or credit history in Canada, it is difficult if not impossible for them to access mainstream credit.
HOW WE HELP
IAF provides micro loans of up to $10,000 to internationally trained immigrants so they can obtain the Canadian licensing or training they need to work in their field. The loan can pay for exams, training, qualification assessments, professional association fees, books and course materials, living allowance and other expenses related to obtaining the Canadian licensing or training they need.
IAF is Canada’s largest and most successful character-based community lending program funded by both the private and public sectors.
Are you an immigrant? (An immigrant and a permanent resident, provincial nominee, refugee/protected person, or Canadian citizen).
Do you want to return to your profession or trade in Canada?
An IAF loan can help if you are struggling to pay for the costs that are associated with completing the licensing or training you need to work in your field in Canada.
USE OF IAF LOANS
You can borrow up to $10,000 to cover the following costs:
- Short-term (two years or less) training
- Exam fees with a professional governing association
- Travel expenses to write an exam
- Qualification assessments
- Professional association fees
- Books and course materials
- English or French language courses specific to employment
- Living allowance during study time
- Other related expenses
IAF LOAN PROGRAM IS UNIQUE
IAF loans are character-based. Loans are approved on the strength of the applicant’s character and strength of their career development or learning plan.
- IAF can lend to people with low income.
- Canadian credit history is not required.
- Collateral is not required.
- Interest rate is low.
- Repayment terms are favourable.
Your loan repayment schedule will depend on the length of your approved learning or training plan. Generally, your payments will be in two stages:
- Interest only while you are completing your licensing/learning plan (to a maximum of two years), and
- Principal and interest for the next two years.
The interest rate is currently 4.2% annually (RBC Prime rate plus 1.5%, set quarterly).
IAF is Canada’s largest and most successful character-based community lending program and funded by both the private and public sectors. Click here to meet some of our successful loan recipients.
To learn more about our eligibility requirements, click here.