Youth - leadership training opportunity. Strengthening relationships between indigenous and non-indigenous youth
Canadian Roots Exchange is a national, indigenous-led, non-profit organization committed to strengthening relations between Indigenous and non-Indigenous youth.
We are pleased to launch the callout for our Youth Reconciliation Initiative (YRI), which has, over the last six years, engaged Indigenous and non-Indigenous youth leaders aged 18-29 from across the country to realize their own visions of reconciliation.
We support youth through capacity-building trainings to organize activities in their communities and engage their peers on discussions around reconciliation.
All project expenses are covered and a stipend is offered to each youth leader at the end of the year.
Callout with youth who might be interested in this leadership opportunity.
The deadline to apply is May 30th.
Interested in becoming a YRI leader?
● I am between 18 and 29 years of age;
● I am a permanent resident or citizen of Canada (a requirement of the project funder);
● I am excited to work in a team of Indigenous and non-Indigenous youth;
● I can commit to organising seven community events with my team from Sept 2018 – April 2019;
● I can dedicate approximately 10 to 15 hours of volunteer work per month between Aug. 2018
and Apr. 2019 to develop and implement the above events ;
● I am motivated to challenge myself and others to learn more about diverse Indigenous histories,
cultures and topics as well as the realities of non-Indigenous communities in Canada;
● I want to dispel harmful stereotypes and myths that divide communities on these lands;
● I am comfortable facilitating workshops, giving presentations, and organizing activities with youth
in my region and would like to improve my skills in these areas;
● I identify as First Nations, Inuit or Métis OR I have some knowledge about First Nations, Inuit and
Métis communities in my region, with a strong interest in learning more;
● I am available to attend the mandatory training outside of Toronto from Aug. 26 to Sept. 1, 2018;
● If I am selected, I take full responsibility to obtain and submit a Vulnerable Sector Check
(expenses covered by CRE);
● I will be residing in one of the following communities between Aug. 2018 - Apr. 2019:
➔ Thunder Bay
➔ Manitoulin Island
Link to apply:
For questions or more information, contact:
Canadian Roots Exchange
Canadian Roots Exchange promotes relationships of respect, understanding, and reconciliation between Indigenous and non-Indigenous youth. In Saskatoon, we acknowledge we are on Treaty 6 Territory and the Homeland of the Métis ancestors of this place and reaffirm our relationship with one another.