Free - Cinema Under the Stars 2018 starts July 4, with the movie 'The Secret Life of Pets'. Victoria Park downtown
The Regina Downtown Business Improvement District (RDBID) announced the summer lineup for the 2018 season of Cinema Under the Stars in a news release on June 21.
Presented by Harvard Developments Inc. and its downtown building partners, the family-friendly movies are set to play in Victoria Park on the following dates.
July 4 – The Secret Life of Pets
- You can expect to see the Regina Public Library’s mascot, Booker, a craft activity, in addition to CC Rez Q with their adoptable furry friends.
- Metro Pet Mart are also said to be there to share information about their business and will be selling some of their items.
- Cosplayers are also said to be expected, presented by the Regina Costume League.
July 11 – Trolls
- RDBID will be providing a craft activity, games and chalk for some pre-show sidewalk art.
July 18 – Spiderman
- Homecoming is set to play in the park
- Saskatchewan Science Center providing activities
- Regina Costume League with more cosplay
July 25 – Jumanji
- Welcome to the Jungle will be playing with special pre-show partners,
- Danny Kazam of the Regina Cadabra Society is said to be kicking off the evening at 7 p.m. with
- a performance called “Magic Under the Stars” as part of the 2018 Regina Cadabra Magical Festival
August 15 – Coco
- RDBID said all proceeds from the concession will be directed to the Regina Public Library
August 22 – The final show of the summer, Black Panther
Pre-show entertainment is offered as early as 7 p.m. with movie screenings beginning at dusk.
RDBID has confirmed this event is free and for all ages, but mentioned that concession items will be available for purchase in addition to select activities sponsored by pre-show partners.
“Cinema Under the Stars is affordable fun for all ages and interests,” said executive director Judith Veresuk. “We donate the proceeds from our concession sales to local charities, so it’s a night out you can feel good about too!”
Escape Manor is one of the mentioned recurring pre-show partners who are scheduled to attend each screening and will be offering themed escape cages for $5.00 for groups of two or three.
Saskatchewan Film Pool Cooperative is another RDBID partner and will be showcasing short independent films, including works from their summer film camp participants aged 13-17. The short films will be featured on the big screen prior to the movie, according to RDBID.
Lastly, SaskTel has provided blankets for raffle at each screening. All you need to do is fill out a comment card to enter.