Recent Article States that Unemployment rate for Immigrants to Canada at Lowest Level in Years

Posted in Community Programs / Immigration News / Families



Recent Article States that Unemployment rate for Immigrants to Canada at Lowest Level in Years

An article posted by CTV News recently, reported that the unemployment rate for immigrants to Canada is at the lowest level since 2006. Regina's Newcomer Employment Week / Semaine pour l'emploi des nouveaux arrivants, is a great time to share the message and findings highlighted in the article. 

Several of these highlights are listed below:

- The employment gap between newcomers and Canadian-born workers continues to narrow as immigrants make up a growing percentage of the Canadian labour force, says new data from Statistics Canada. 

- The unemployment rate for working-aged immigrants in Canada is 6.4 per cent as of 2017. In contrast, the unemployment rate for Canadian-born people was five per cent in the same year. 

- Overall, immigrants currently make up 26 per cent of the Canadian workforce, with Canadian-born workers making up the other 74 per cent.

- Most of the growth in immigrant employment was in professional, scientific and technical services; finance, insurance, real estate and leasing services; manufacturing as well as health care and social assistance. 

- Immigrants to Canada are also more likely to be university educated than Canadian-born citizens. 

- "Immigration plays a critical role to help meet our labour market challenges, grow local businesses and create jobs for Canadians," said Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Minister Ahmed Hussen in a tweet about the StatCan numbers.

Employment data by region 

  • The research also shows that all provinces have experienced an increase in core-age immigrants since the data collection began in 2006.

  • British Columbia and Ontario continue to have the largest share of immigrants, while Alberta and Saskatchewan have both seen considerable increases in core-aged immigrants since 2006. 

  • Atlantic Canada’s share of core-aged population composed of immigrants remains the lowest nationwide, at 6 per cent in 2017 up from three per cent in 2006. 

  • Among major metropolitan areas, in 2017 Toronto had the largest share (37 per cent) of Canada's core-aged immigrant population, though this percentage is down from what it was in 2006 (42 per cent.) Meanwhile, other major cities such as Montreal, Calgary, and Edmonton have seen increases in the number of immigrants making up their workforces.

The report predicts that by 2036, nearly half of the Canadian population will be comprised of immigrants and second-generation individuals.

The entire article (published by CTV 
Reporter, Rachel Aiello, on December 28, 2018) can be found here https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/unemployment-rate-for-immigrants-to-canada-at-lowest-level-in-years-1.4233468


Comments