Careless Cooking Video! (Fire Prevention from City of Regina Fire and Protective Services)
The City of Regina Fire and Protective Services, in conjunction with local settlement agencies and the Newcomer Welcome Gateway, has developed a number of Fire Safety videos.
Below is the script: viewers can have the information, and use the Google translate feature to translate it into their own language.
Careless cooking causes many fires in Regina. This fire started when the person cooking left the kitchen for just a few minutes. Twenty-three families lost their homes in this fire.
This video will show how YOU can stay safe in your kitchen.
The most important thing to remember is to stay in the kitchen when you’re cooking. Most fires happen when the person leaves the kitchen to do something else in the home.
Remember – when you turn your stove on it gets very hot right away.
When you’re cooking, always cook with a lid nearby. If the pot catches fire, slide the lid over the pot and turn the stove off. That will put the fire out.
If a fire starts in your oven, just close the door and turn it off. And don’t forget to turn the oven off when you’re done cooking.
It’s a good idea to clean your stove and your oven often. This will prevent fires.
If your children are in the kitchen, keep an eye on them and make sure they stay away from the stove.
Keep things off the stove and out of the oven because they can catch fire.
Before using your microwave, read the food package instructions. Be careful when you take the food out of the microwave – it can be very hot. And never use metal objects in the microwave because they can cause sparks.
If a fire does happen, get out of your house right away. Then call 9-1-1 from a neighbor’s home or from a cell phone once you’re outside. Do not call friends or family first.
If you follow these simple tips, you can keep your family safe and can stop cooking fires from happening to you.
To see pictures and read information in your own language